Quick service restaurant kitchen deep cleaning has to be fast and efficient. With 24 hours of uptime running requirements of many outlets, it often also has to happen whilst a cooking service is maintained. Continuous orders at drive-through windows and at the counter can overwhelm employees if they don’t have the right processes and tools to clean quickly and effectively.
Here are 5 ideas and areas to focus on when carrying out kitchen deep cleaning: –
1. Incorporate deep cleaning into your health and safety responsibilities. Deep cleaning can be a real chore for your staff. If deep cleaning is presented as a routine exercise, that has to be done, motivations can waiver and standards may slip. So presenting kitchen deep cleaning as part of staff health and safety responsibilities, where staff are typically already well trained, can make the exercise more meaningful. One element to emphasise is staff welfare in this regard. A build-up of contaminants can be detrimental to staff as well as customers and floor debris for example can lead to a slip and trip incidents.
2. Work from the top down. With the intensity of activity in a quick-service restaurant, cooking materials are spreading everywhere from emulsified cooking oils in the air to food particles being kicked or transported on footwear. Once these materials settle they then form a thin film attracting and retaining dust and other contaminants which in themselves can harbour bacteria. Working from the top-down means that any contaminates that fall during the cleaning process will be picked up by cleaning procedures at a lower level. Ensure all open cooking equipment and preparation surfaces are covered in advance to prevent contamination. Your cleaning products supplier may be able to advise you on special tools available to reach inaccessible areas.
3. Select the right cleaning product for the task in hand. For kitchen deep cleaning, it is essential to select the right cleaning agent for the contaminate you are trying to clean and for the material that the surface to be cleaned is made of. You might need expert advice to help you with this as different cleaning products if used on the wrong surface can damage these surfaces irreparably. Your cleaning products supplier should offer you a free assessment service to help you select the right products and hone your procedures to be ultra-efficient.
4. Use eco-friendly commercial cleaning products and clean sustainably. Many businesses with regular cleaning and deep cleaning requirements often ignore a requirement to be more sustainable in their cleaning in the mistaken belief that eco-friendly commercial cleaning products are more expensive to use. This simply isn’t the case any more with modern eco-friendly cleaning products like Quick and Easy offering cost-effective solutions but using only natural chemicals and fully recyclable packaging.
5. Concentrate on the floors. Cleaning kitchen floors properly during kitchen deep cleaning is the most important area to concentrate on. Gravity ensures that most contaminates and residue of other cleaning activity will end up and get moved around floors. Clean floors are also the key to preventing the many of slip-and-fall accidents that take place in restaurants every year. To get your floors clean and safe for your employees, your team has to remove the food particles and grease that hit the ground during service and other cleaning procedures. Again selecting the right product and cleaning, tools and procedures here is vital.
Kitchen deep cleaning in quick service restaurants presents a particular challenge for all involved because of the relentless demands of this business environment. However, with the right products, procedures, tools and staff commitment and motivation, it can be executed quickly and efficiently so that the business can maintain high standards and concentrate on serving customers.